Bed bugs seem harmless, but they live on blood. Their bites are painless at first, but they can cause itching later on. Additionally, while they don’t fly, they can move quickly, hide, and fit into tiny spaces, waiting to feed at night.
These pests can enter your home undetected through clothing, luggage, and other items. When this happens, they may spread to nearby rooms. No matter how immaculate your house is, they can still infect your property. To prevent dealing with such a nuisance, learn how to spot the distinct trail they leave behind. Here are some warning signs you are dealing with a bed bug problem:
1. There Are Itchy Bites on Your Body
The most obvious sign of a bed bug infestation is small, itchy bites on your body, especially those that appear in straight lines of three. However, not all homeowners dealing with a bed bug infestation show signs of being bitten by bed bugs. This is because many people don’t have a physical reaction to bed bug bites.
2. There Are Dark Stains on Your Bed Sheets or Pillowcases
As mentioned above, bed bugs leave behind a trail. It includes small stains in places they have lived. If you notice dark spots or reddish stains on your bed sheets or pillowcases that smear when wiped with a wet rag, it might be a sign of bed bug infestation. These are likely clusters of their poop. Get rid of these pests for good by seeking pest control inspection.
3. There Are Shed Skins or Eggshells on Your Bed or Clothing
Besides stains, bed bugs leave behind shed skins, eggshells, and fecal spots in places where they hide. Additionally, casings that appear small, brown, and oval can indicate that there are bed bugs in your home. Contact bed bug pest control professionals right away if you find any of these signs.
4. You Frequently Stay in Hotel Rooms
No matter how luxurious and clean hotel rooms look, they are still prone to bed bug infestation. Unfortunately, you can bring these pests home if they manage to spread on your luggage or clothing. To avoid this problem, inspect for bugs and use the SLEEP method when staying in hotel rooms:
- Survey the hotel room for signs of a bed bug infestation.
- Look in common bed bug hiding spots, including the mattress, furniture, box spring, bed skirt, and baseboards.
- Elevate your luggage away from the wall and bed. It’s advisable to place it in the bathroom.
- Examine your luggage while packing and returning home from the hotel.
- Place dryer-safe clothes from your luggage in the dryer at the highest setting for 15 minutes after coming home from the hotel.
You’ll never know if you will unknowingly invite unwanted pests into your home the next time you come home from a trip. While bed bugs are just about the size of an apple seed, they can cause a serious problem in your household. For instance, severe itching from their bites can lead to sleepless nights. Thankfully, you can prevent dealing with an infestation in the first place by being on the lookout for these warning signs.
If you notice any of these signs in your home, contact Frontline Pest Service right away. Our highly trained team specialises in pest control services to keep your house a safe and comfortable place to live in. Book an appointment today!